Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Roller Skates

Here's a story submitted by L. of New Jersey...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Roller Skates



My skates are my most prized possession. I have been skating since I was a teenager, many years ago. My friends and I would skate all summer- most evenings we would bring a radio outside and skate up and down our block in Queens, NY and lots of kids would join us. We would skate at Flushing Meadow Park, the site of the World’s Fair, and at United Skates of America on weekends. Sometimes we would even walk home after skating - about 40 blocks! If we didn’t skate, our week was incomplete. Now my friends from the rink feel the same way.

I have a friend at the rink who is 73 years old and you would never know it. He is a great skater, teaches people how to skate, and always helps fellow skaters of all ages. He also has a great sense of humor. He glides along effortlessly. I have a hard time keeping up with him! He inspires me. Skating really is age-defying. It’s also a great exercise as you get older because it is low impact and easier on the knees.

I started roller skating again about seven years ago at a rink in Wayne, New Jersey. Unfortunately, the rink has since closed which happens all too often. The first time I skated again I felt like I was going to have a heart attack! Then I quickly got my energy back and was soon skating two to three times per week. It was great to be back on wheels again. I made great friends at the rink and realized that skating is healing and gives us strength and joy. Skating brings together people of all generations – we have a strong bond – we love to skate! My skating friends are like family. We teach each other new dance steps and encourage each other. We help each other when we fall.

Roller skating helps your concentration and focus because you must be alert and aware of the skaters around you while you skate. You also get to enjoy the beauty of parks when you skate outdoors. I find that skating allows you to live in the present, in the moment. I feel so energized after I skate. I also lost fifteen pounds skating.

My boots are coming off of the skates so it’s time for new skates but I am grateful for my skates and will keep them forever!

No comments: